Mission for this program
Your mission if you choose to accept it is to “Help map the underwater world at Teluk Keke, Perhentian Island” so we can protect it. This is the area that the Perhentian Marine Research Station have been allocated to protect by the marine parks management. If you join this programme you will be part of the solution to protect the reefs under this new Reef Care Programme. To begin the program, you will first be taught about coral reef ecology and substrate types and then you will be able to snorkel or dive mapping out the reef and locate where the different types of substrate are, be them healthy or less healthy corals. This map will enable PMRS to then decide if reef restoration is needed and where.
You will also join in clean ups above and below the surface. Additionally, you will be based in village. You will have a Malay Dinner, imagine balik kampong to a Malay Village for hari raya Aidilfitri- wear a sarong, eat with your hands with a lovely host family. The second night we have a BBQ dinner near the beach and most likely head out to long beach for a fire show or two.
We hope this kind of PROGRAM will shape the future of tourism, being more ethical and contributing towards protecting the environments you visit and enjoy. Beyond the programme we hope you will keep spreading the awareness so that our world be a little bit healthier.
Village accommodation at Teluk Keke
1 April 20201 (Thursday)
- Departure to Perhentian
Day 1: 2 April 2021 (Friday)
- Arrival at Besut, Breakfast by SELF
- 8am: Boat to Perhentian Island
- 9am: Check in at PMRS station + coffee break/ own breakfast while waiting for room and Village tour
- 10am: Introduction to the projects and schedule briefing + Introduction to coral reef ecosystem
- 12pm: Lunch and check in
- 2.30pm: Coral class + benthic quiz + briefing for reef mapping activities
- 4.30pm: Diver to check for gears and snorkelers to prep snorkelling gears
- 5pm: Water Confidence and snorkelling ( Nemo/Marine Park)
- 6pm: Free time
- 8pm: Malay dinner
Day 2: 3 April 2021 (Saturday)
- 7am: Breakfast
- 8am: Divers and snorkelers to gear up
- 8.30pm: Boat ready for departure.
– Divers: (2dives) PPB session +Practice dive at Romantic Beach
– Snorkelers: Mapping the reef- Teluk Keke
- 12pm: Lunch
- 2pm: Boat ready for departure
– Divers: (2 dives) Reef mapping (Teluk Keke) + Clean up dive (Batu Nisan/D’lagoon)
– Snorkelers: Turtle snorkel tour + Beach Clean Up at 3 Ruang
- 6pm: Free time
- 8pm: BBQ dinner
Day 3: 4 April 2021 (Sunday)
- 7.30am: Breakfast
- 8am: Free time 0r ADD ON (DSD or Fun Dive)
- 1pm: Lunch and check out
- 4pm: Departure from Perhentian Island
You can drive car or take bus to Kuala Besut Jetty from Kuala Lumpur. From KL by car via Kuala Besut takes about 6 hours plus the ferry travel time. If you decide to drive from KL to Kuala Besut Jetty, there is safe parking close to the jetty for RM10/day. – we may even set the transportation together, shall discuss this in the group.
If its MCO and locked down – not allowed to travel, all booking that already have been made by participant will be carry forward to a different date. No refunds will be made.
Prohibitions & Limitations
- Due to the nature of this activity, it is not recommended for persons with impaired physical mobility or those in wheelchairs.
- This activity is not recommended for those with medical conditions (high blood pressure, epilepsy, pregnant women, or seniors.
Upon successful booking you will receive confirmation booking via email or whatsapp. You will be invited into a whatsapp group for further instructions. For transportation we will discuss in the group and we may arrange it accordingly based on everyone’s agreement.